Areas Of Practice
Corporate Law | Mergers & Acquisitions | Corporate Governance | Intellectual Property | International Law | Real Estate | Capital Markets & Finance | Employment Law | Telecommuncations Law | Healthcare Acquisitions
Jorge Gutierrez is Managing Partner of Boyd & Jenerette (Miami Office) and is the Practice Area Contact for Corporate Real Estate and International Law. He is a Martindale Hubbell “AV” Rated attorney, and has been selected a Super Lawyer by the Super Lawyers Magazine. His clients include a broad range of publicly owned and privately held U.S. and foreign companies and financial institutions. Mr. Gutierrez concentrates his practice on domestic and international corporate matters and transactions, securities offerings, and international cross-border corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, financial transactions and various licensing arrangements. He has extensive experience and is familiar with the legal systems, cultures and business practices in the United States, Latin America and Europe. Mr. Gutierrez regularly represents foreign clients with respect to their U.S. interests.
Mr. Gutierrez provides domestic and international advice regarding structuring of business operations, mergers and acquisitions, and in the negotiation and preparation of international joint venture, distributorship, franchise, strategic partnering and licensing agreements among domestic and foreign businesses, and acts as counsel to private and emerging growth companies in matters ranging from formation, key executive recruiting and initial capitalization to venture capital financing and shareholder and board fiduciary duties.
Awards and Recognitions
AV Rated, Martindale- Hubbell
Selected by Super Lawyers Magazine to Florida Super Lawyers, 2006
Disctrict of Columbia, 1988
United States Tax Court
American Bar Association, Business and International Law Sections, 1986 to Present
The District of Columbia Bar Association, Member, 1988 to Present
The Florida Bar Association, Business and International Law Sections, Member, 1986 to Present
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member 1981 to Present
Inter-American Development Bank Miami, Host Committee Member, 2008
Vice Chair Working Group on Corporate Social Responsibility, American Bar Association, Section of International Law, 2006 to 2008
Law Board, Northwestern University School of Law, Member, 2004 to Present
Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, Member, Board of Governors, 2004-2007
Miami-Dade County Housing Finance Authority, Member, Board of Trustees, 1994-1995
Arts of Americas, Board Member, 2011 to Present
Rhythm Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2012 to Present
French-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida (FACC), Member, 2012 to Present
Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Florida, Inc., Member, Board of Trustees, 2010 to 2011
West Broward YMCA, Member, Board of Trustees, 2003-2007
Museum of Science and Planetarium, Member, Board of Trustees, 2003-2004
Friends of WLRN (Public Television and Radio), Member, Board of Trustees, 1997-1999
Make-a-Wish Foundation of South Florida, Inc., Member, Board of Trustees, 1995-1997
College Assistance Program of Dade County, Inc., Member, Board of Trustees, 1990-1995; Advisory Board, 1995-1997
“Legal Auditing of E-Commerce Business, Doing Business Online and the Computerized Practice of Law,” speaker at University of Montana School of Law, October 15-16, 1999; published at 61 MONT. L. REV 1 (2000). (co-authored with Richard C. Bulman, Jr.)
“Practical Strategies for Global E-Commerce,” E-BUSINESS ADVISOR, June 1999 (co-authored with Richard C. Bulman, Jr.).
Y2K World Congress (Chair and Speaker), Miami, Florida, May 23-26, 1999.
“Traveling the Treacherous World of E-Commerce,” MIAMI BUSINESS REVIEW, Oct. 30, 1998 (co-authored with Richard C. Bulman, Jr.).
“Selling Luxury Goods in Latin America: Practical Considerations,” 12 LATIN AM. LAW & BUS. REP., No. 6, at 2004.
J.D., Northwestern University, 1986
C.P.A., University of Illinois, 1980
B.A., Ball State University, 1979
English and Spanish
• Representation of leading Southeast U.S. managed healthcare services company in connection with a complex joint venture with a private equity-backed fund for approximately $65 million, and continuing represenatation for the joint venture in connection with the acquisition of the assets and insurance contracts of physicians practices located throughout the region.
• Representation of leading Argentina-based pharmaceutical company in connection with complex $10 million Series B Preferred stock investment in a pharmaceutical development company based in Silicon Valley, including the negotiation of Distribution Agreement, Investors’ Rights Agreement, Co-Sale Agreement, Stockholders’ Agreement and a Board Representation Agreement.
• Representation of multiple financial institutions and commercial financial services companies in the structuring and documentation of financing transactions (including those collateralized by assets outside of the U.S.) and in workouts and restructuring of the same.
• Representation of a U.S. based Fortune 500 company in a 33-country business review and the establishment of a finance organization in Central America, South America and the Caribbean
• Representation of various multinational clients on diverse fauns of market penetration in Latin America and Europe, assisting in the evaluation and implementation of business strategies, establishment of local operations, implementation of corporate compliance policies and various operational, local regulatory and monitoring programs.
• Representation of multiple translational healthcare providers in establishment of foreign joint ventures, including in Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico and including associated transactional, regulatory/licensing and operational matters.
• Representation of multiple private and emerging companies and their owners in venture capital, private placement and strategic alliance transactions.
• Representation of various international luxury goods groups in connection with their operations throughout the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, including with respect to licensing issues, gray and black market issues, and operational establishment.
• Representation of multiple multi-jurisdiction duty-free operations in acquisitions and dispositions, including concessionary issues.
• Representation of U.S. and Latin American entities in conncetion with their procurement, development and expansion of gaming activities in the U.S. and throughout Central and South America, including associated structuring, regulatory, licensing, compliance and tax issues.
• Representation of South American, European and United States entities in connection with their hotel and resort operations and activities in the Caribbean and Central and South America.
• Representation of global entertainment companies in the structuring and establishment of their activities within the United States.
• Representation of physicians, scientist and entrepreneurs in the development and commercialization of life sciences.
• Representation of various commercial technology ventures in the Americas.
• Representation of financial services firm in the establishment of private-label credit card in Brazil, Argentina and Chile.
• Representation of U.S.-based commercial lender in the establishment in Mexico of commercial asset-based lending practices and procedures.
• Representation of multiple transnational Internet service providers and Internet-based banks in their formation and maintenance operations.