Areas Of Practice
Civil Litigation | Commercial Law | Construction Law | Alternative Dispute Resolution
Elizabeth Howard joined Boyd & Jenerette as a Partner, coming from Rogers Towers, P.A. Ms. Howard's practice is concentrated in complex commercial litigation with a primary emphasis on construction law. She provides a full-service construction law practice and has worked with owners, contractors, design professionals, developers, and suppliers in cases involving construction defect, breach of contract, delay, liens/bonds, surety issues, personal injury, wrongful death, and property damage claims. She also has extensive experience in contract drafting/review, products liability litigation, class actions, toxic torts, premises liability, professional liability, and insurance defense. Ms. Howard’s experience includes mediation, arbitration, and trials.
Ms. Howard is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating. She is active in the American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry; Associated Builders and Contractors; and is on the Board of Governors for the Jacksonville Bar Association. Ms. Howard was voted a Florida Trend Magazine “Up & Comer” in 2008 and 2010 and a Florida Super Lawyers “Rising Star” for Construction Litigation 2009-2012.
Florida - Board Certified in Construction Law
United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
American Arbitration Association
ACE Mentor Program of Northeast Florida, PR Committee: 2010-2011
- Expedited Commercial Panel Arbitrator, 2011-Present
American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
Associated Builders and Contractors
- Women and Minority Fellowship: 2009-2012
- Division 7, Annual Concepts & Ideas Book Working Group, Chair: 2010-2011
- Division 7, Membership Working Group, Member: 2009-2011
- Division 7, Social Media/Technology Working Group, Member: 2010-2011
- Young Lawyers Committee, Division 7 Liaison: 2010-Present
Chester Bedell Inn of Court
- Young Professionals, Member: 2009-Present
- Women's Council, Member: 2006-Present
Florida Bar Association
- Associate Member: 2007-2008
- Barrister: 2012-2015
Indiana University Alumni Association
- Construction Law Committee: 2005-Present
- Construction Law Committee, Jury Instructions Subcommittee: 2012-2013
- RPPTL Section: 2005-Present
- RPPTL, Property & Liability Insurance/Suretyship Committee: 2012-2013
Jacksonville Bar Association
Jacksonville Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- Law Week Committee, Member: 2007
- Holiday Project, Chair: 2006
- Guardian Ad Litem Permanency Project: 2005
- Board of Governors: 2012-2014
- Construction Law Section: 2011-Present
Phi Delta Phi, Wilkie Inn
- President: 2011-2012
- Secretary: 2009-2010
- Treasurer: 2008-2009
- Board of Governors: 2006-2010
2011: Florida Construction Bonds, AAA Construction School
2012: Construction Law, Florida Coastal School of Law
Defense of construction, engineering and inspection sub-consultant on an FDOT project with a value over $111 million, involving claims brought by contractor for professional negligence and breach of duty.
Defense of large southeast residential developer and home builder against claims by individual owners for construction defect, including improperly installed stucco, windows and roofing systems. Represented same builder in over 100 suits against the original subcontractors to recover costs incurred by the builder for remediation and repair of the homes.
Defense of construction, engineering and inspection contractor from claims of insufficient maintenance of traffic in a roadway construction zone, case involved the death of two eighteen year olds.
Defense of subcontractor against multi-million dollar construction defect and unfair trade practices claims by general contractor and owner. Case involved construction of multiple buildings, water intrusion and mold claims.
•Defense of nation-wide residential developer and home builder in a multi-million dollar construction defects and mold claim brought by individual owners seeking class certification of over 350 homes.
•Defense of contractors and owners against premises liability claims.
•Defense of personal injury claims against automobile owners and drivers involved in major and minor automobile accidents, including wrongful death.
B.A., The College of Wooster, 1999
J.D., Indiana University School of Law, 2002